I've started my adventure to build a Van's Aircraft RV14a. For several years, I've been planning to build an Experimental (homebuilt) airplane - once retired.
But first, I needed to get my Pilot's License. (Kinda key !) So... first things first: I retired March 2014 from Caterpillar - and started flying lessons in the Summer of 2014. Soloed a day after Christmas, and got my Private July 2015. Shop set up, tools acquisition, and practise kits during Fall launched me into my build starting Dec 31, 2015 !

I've chosen to build the RV14a since it's about 10% larger than Van's prior models - so it fits my 6'4" frame well. Van's is well known for great value & outstanding flying qualities. It's been a no brainer decision for me. A tour of their facilities and demo flight in Oct 2013 clinched the deal. My wife - also a pilot - exclaimed after her demo flight "retire NOW so you can build one of these". The RV14a fits my mission of a good compromise between cross country & aerobatics. Plus...I fit, too.

So far, one month into building, it's been rewarding. Very challenging, but certainly a learning experience. The builder community is terrific - as is Van's tech support. I'm finished with the Vert Stab and Rudder (Jan 2016). So... with a 5 month delivery lead time, I've ordered the Quick Build Wings and Fuselage.

I hope this blog assists other new builders, just like several others have been valuable to me. Plus it will serve to document my build step by step. Please drop me a line via the "contact me" form on lower RH margin.
Update: April 2020 relocated to Wickenburg, Az to escape Illinois winters.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Finish Kit (and other kits for Final Assembly)

Engine RPM and Prop Control ( 3 hrs )

Success!  Ran engine for another few minutes w/ correct RPM set up in config (ref July 1 log).  Terry Moushon was great assistance again.  After stabilized at 1200 RPM, opened throttles to 1700 RPM to test Prop Control.  No response at first, so raised RPM to 1800.  Began responding to input - with changes immediately.  Next did R Mag and L Mag checks.  Each dropped ~100 RPM (OK).  Returned to 1200 RPM, then lowered to 900 RPM to check robustness of idle.  Didn't go lower, since the CHTs were now at 250F.  Slowly reduced mixture to ICO (idle cut off) to stop.  After returning plane to hangar, masked top of Rudder and VS and sprayed grey primer ( Cromax Quick Prime A-4240S) to protect epoxy filler from UV.   Recently, Terry noticed I had original diameter (.120") hinge pins for top cowl attach.  His RV10 instructions had him replace with .090" diameter pins - which are much easier to insert/remove (while reaching inside via oil door).  My instructions had me use full diameter pins...but I did find another Vans doc that clearly instructs builders to use .090".  Sterling at Vans builder support confirmed the RV14 instructions changed from prior convention, retaining the .120" so the cowl does not slightly "lift" during flight as top is pressurized.  He noted optional to use .090" since easier to insert.   Since I'll be assembling cowling frequently over next few weeks, I built 2 pins w/ smaller diameter...to try.  Finally, I removed remaining plastic film from Canopy.  Sweet !    Since really hot and humid (again!), went home to download SD card to review engine run data.
Primer over epoxy filler so UV doesn't affect


Surprised how much removing the plastic film on
Canopy improved appearance!

Gotta clean the dust off glareshield...




1 comment: