I've started my adventure to build a Van's Aircraft RV14a. For several years, I've been planning to build an Experimental (homebuilt) airplane - once retired.
But first, I needed to get my Pilot's License. (Kinda key !) So... first things first: I retired March 2014 from Caterpillar - and started flying lessons in the Summer of 2014. Soloed a day after Christmas, and got my Private July 2015. Shop set up, tools acquisition, and practise kits during Fall launched me into my build starting Dec 31, 2015 !

I've chosen to build the RV14a since it's about 10% larger than Van's prior models - so it fits my 6'4" frame well. Van's is well known for great value & outstanding flying qualities. It's been a no brainer decision for me. A tour of their facilities and demo flight in Oct 2013 clinched the deal. My wife - also a pilot - exclaimed after her demo flight "retire NOW so you can build one of these". The RV14a fits my mission of a good compromise between cross country & aerobatics. Plus...I fit, too.

So far, one month into building, it's been rewarding. Very challenging, but certainly a learning experience. The builder community is terrific - as is Van's tech support. I'm finished with the Vert Stab and Rudder (Jan 2016). So... with a 5 month delivery lead time, I've ordered the Quick Build Wings and Fuselage.

I hope this blog assists other new builders, just like several others have been valuable to me. Plus it will serve to document my build step by step. Please drop me a line via the "contact me" form on lower RH margin.
Update: April 2020 relocated to Wickenburg, Az to escape Illinois winters.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Finish Kit

First Flight !

First Flight ...Success!  Due to hot/humid weather, Nancy and I arrived at 3MY by 6am to pre-flight N3714R.  Terry Moushon and Bill Lane arrived also to help as needed ( a terrific pit crew!)  Takeoff weight was 1,810 lbs with 39.5 gallons fuel.   Took to the air at 6:48am with clearance from KPIA ATC to climb to 5,500' through overhead Class C airspace.  ATC provided Flight Following, while insuring the area near airport remained clear of traffic.   (Special thanks to ATC's Jay McKinty and Brady Seei for super cooperation).  Performance was spectacular - from acceleration pushing me into seatback during takeoff, to climb out to 5,500'.  Quickly dialed back to 25 squared for climb. Climbed using Vy (109 mph) since CHTs were not high. I reached 5,500' in approx 5 minutes...averaging 1000 fpm - but data shows my rate varied from 1700 fpm to 600 fpm.   I established cruise at 70% power maintaining between 150-160 mph.   CHT temps during climb never exceeded 380 F, and held steady around 320-350 remainder of cruise flight.  Kept within 5 miles of airport in rectangular "pattern", using Garmin Pilot map showing Glide Ring to insure I was close for deadstick return.  Totaled about 1 hr before descending to normal pattern.   Controls and trim worked perfectly.  I did have a heavy Left Wing, requiring moderate right trim input (Vans and VAF have excellent info to diagnose and tune).  I came in too high on first approach, so simply performed Go-Around. (really like the simple 2 clicks to return flaps from 30 to 15 to 0.  Next approach was great with a "greaser" touchdown.  Prior to start, I had 39.5 gal, and dipstick measured remaining at 12 gal in LH & 13 gal in RH tanks for 25 total.  Burned 14.5 gal.  G3X shows 14.4 gallons used, 25.1 gallons remain. (believe G3x using "red cube" flowmeter is more accurate than my dipstick).  Now at 1.5 engine hours (0.3 prior ground runs)
Several aviation friends gathered at ramp to help celebrate a terrific flight.  Special thanks! to my wife Nancy, and Terry Moushon (EAA Tech Counselor and chief pit crew) and Bill Lane (super pit crewman) for their strong commitment to help make this happen.
First takeoff...accelerates quickly with moderate load

A little more than 1 hr later....touchdown!

Celebration begins !  ( Nancy was very relieved!...and happy)

So far just baffles rubbing on inside of Top Cowl...faint dark lines

NO leaks, nothing loose...RH side looking into Bottom Cowl

And LH side

NO issues found...

contact pattern of baffles on Top Cowl showing.  Looks great

No comments:

Post a Comment